Crane Funerals Logo

TAC Funeral Support

How we can help with your TAC funeral claim

You are free to call Crane Funerals any time you need help with arranging a TAC funeral, and guidance through the various forms and information needed to claim for a funeral paid by the TAC.

We can help you secure support with funeral costs and counselling services. We can also work with the TAC to help find out eligibility for financial support for dependants. Our aim as with all our funerals, is to make the process as easy for you as possible with all the TAC funeral claims we handle.

Experienced Care And Personal Attention

The TAC is a no-fault scheme. This means that regardless of whose fault the accident was, the costs are usually covered. TAC funerals in Victoria are covered for most accident circumstances if they occur in a Victorian registered vehicle.

These include suicide; accidents where a pedestrian or vehicle occupant is hit by a vehicle such as car or train, tram or bus; or where a cyclist hits a stationary or moving vehicle or is hit by an opening car door.

There are only a few instances where liability may be in question.

The TAC can pay for family counselling services. This benefit is available to the spouse or partner, parents, children, grandparents, brothers and sisters of the person who has died.

If your spouse or domestic partner was contributing to your family’s income or caring for your children, the TAC can provide some financial support to help you cope. A “domestic partner” is a person who is in a registered relationship with the person or who is living as a couple with the person (regardless of their gender). The benefit you receive will depend on what your partner’s responsibilities were before the accident:

Lump sum payment

We can pay a one-off lump sum benefit. The amount will depend on the person’s age, family circumstances or any prior impairment payments.

As well as a lump sum payment,

a dependent partner may receive a fortnightly benefit and/or support at home.

If both parents, a sole parent or a supporting parent died in the accident, payments can be made for the dependent children of the deceased:

Lump sum payment
A dependent child is defined as being under 16 years of age, or aged 16 to 25 years and a full-time student, but does not include a child who has a spouse or partner. If there is more than one dependent child, this lump sum will be divided equally between the dependent children.

Fortnightly payment
We can pay the legal guardian each week for each dependent child under 16 years of age, or aged 16 to 18 years and a full-time student.

Education allowance
We can pay a yearly education allowance to the legal guardian for each full-time student, up to 18 years of age.

TAC can pay a certain amount to cover the reasonable cost of travel and accommodation for immediate family members to go to the funeral. The family member/s lives more than 100kms from the place where the funeral, burial or cremation is held.

– The blood alcohol level of the driver has no effect on the TAC funeral claim.

– If a person dies from natural causes at the wheel of their vehicle, they likely will not have a claim. The TAC must be satisfied that the death was as a direct result of a transport accident. They pursue evidence, such as an autopsy/coroner’s report or medical reports, before making their decision.

– The TAC is not able to accept a claim for accidents that occur in vehicles that have never been registered. Also, if the vehicle was once registered but has been unregistered for at least 12 months, then the injured or deceased owner may have no entitlement to claim.

– If the vehicle was not registered at the date of accident, the TAC will accept liability if the accident occurred in a public place, on a public highway or on public property and the vehicle was:
-Usually garaged in Victoria
-Not exempt from registration

TAC forms

Funeral and Dependency Claim Form

Crane Funerals will fill out this form for you after liaising with the TAC regarding certain details of the deceased and the accident, and the funeral claim number.

Dependants Statutory Declaration Form

You Too Can Cherish Fond Memories

Please use this form to tell the TAC who the deceased person’s dependants are:

Dependants Acknowledgement Form

You Too Can Cherish Fond Memories

Please use this form to let the TAC know the school, university or tertiary institution enrolment of the deceased person’s dependant children:

Our clients appreciate
our warmth & care

We had prepaid for my father’s funeral. The costs were very reasonable, One phone call to Damian and the wheels were set in motion, He was very understanding and patient with us as we tried to put together content for the Service which was to be live-streamed due to Covid restrictions. He was available to chat at any time of the day and the Service went well despite the obstacles. Crane Funerals has looked after both of our parents funerals and I have no hesitation recommending them to anybody.


Recently we had a sudden loss in our family with a vehicle accident. It was one of the most difficult times we have ever faced. We were advised that there was TAC funeral coverage that we could apply for, but we weren’t sure of how to do everything, especially given our grief clouding our minds. We contacted a few funeral directors and Damian and Crane Funerals was our choice. Everything from the start was made as easy as possible, and they handled the whole TAC funeral application for us. My brothers funeral was exactly as we wished, and nothing was too much trouble for Crane Funerals – they made it simple and it was just so beautiful on the day.


Damian was excellent.We would highly recommend Damian and Crane Funerals. Damian was very supportive and caring, which helped us manage this very difficult time. He was understanding and went out of his way to help us with all our requests. Damian was compassionate and kind. We really appreciated everything he did. There was follow-up after the funeral and this was a nice touch.


Great caring service. Crane Funerals delivered a lovely service recently for our son who was taken from us suddenly in an accident. Damian arranged everything regarding the TAC funeral paperwork etc, and the service was excellent before, at, and after the funeral. Highly recommended for service and care – Crane Funerals handle everything with simplicity, straightforward advice and terrific customer service.